Roma, Italy

Roma, Italy

Friday, November 5, 2010

Week 3- San Giovani, Scala Santa & Catacombs of St. Dormatillia

I believe it is very interesting how a lot of the sites we have seen thus far in some way or another connect back to  the beginning of the Roman Catholic beliefs. Not just Roman Catholic belifs but yes, a 'promise of salvation'. When visiting places such as Scala Santa and San Giovanni relgious beliefs are brought into play but more of a promise of salvation is represented. Not only are religious beliefs brought into play, faith is tested.

Thinking critically, why would the Romans build such glorified, complex monuments and buildings if they did not think the buildings would last? I believe the Romans wanted to influence the future of religion and salvation in general. Infering this personally does not nessecarily make it true, however I feel that without the Romans, people would not be as connected spiritually with their faith to this day. Think of how many people travel to see places such as San Giovani, Scala Santa and The Catacombs of St. Dormatillia. All which represent the early stages of Catholic religion. Personally, San Giovani and Scala Santa reveal religion spiritually and visually. The Catacombs of St. Dormatillia help portray there were actually Catholics practicing the religion.

Coming to Rome, I had no religious background. One of my parents was baptised Catholic, the other Protestant. Going to church in my family was never common or encouraged. However, being around such a rich environment full of beliefs and stories of Roman Catholisism makes me believe in things I have never thought of before. Such as attending mass regularly, praying before I eat, and the simplest mindset of just adjusting to other cultures and being open to their beliefs too. The steps of Scala Santa were quite a complex thought for me to take in. Because Jesus had supposedly walked on these steps, I was very moved. I had never felt as close to a spirtual belief as I did at that moment. Whether Jesus actually walked on the steps or not may not actually ever be proven. But to stand in front of the steps imagining actually being in the same place as Jesus only thousands of years later was such a powerful feeling.

Thus, whether individuals are more history or spiritually inclined, can have a huge impact on personal beliefs and faith. A lot of time history can point both at having a God or a God never exhisting. It is the personal belief and will power that actually helps one conclude what they believe in. While there may be more standing proof such as ruins for Roman Catholisism than other religions, being in the city the religion was based in can really help your beliefs grow and become stronger. To piece it all together, I believe different individuals act differently when it comes to spitiual beliefs. Certain individuals can believe without seeing. On the other hand, some are very realistic and have to see or know facts in order to believe. Therefore, those spititually inclined are more apt to be able to believe in a God without facts. Realistc human beings may be aquired to know facts and see artifacts in order to have a strong belief.

Personally, I am a visual learner and a realist. Therefore, not being able to see beliefs for me are very hard. Even though I will never know for a fact if Jesus walked up the Scala Santa steps, the myth that he has makes my beliefs stronger. On the other hand, if it was proven that he had never walked up the steps, I would question my beliefs again. It is important for people to see Ancient buildings in order to boost their faith. Honestly, I will never be the same person when I go back to Ohio because I have seen these beautiful places. In stead of making hard cold evidence take a role in my beliefs, I should beleive to the furthest I can and not let history get in the way. After all, believing in a higher power makes individuals spiritual and obtain a good role model, Jesus. It is important to have these beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie,
    I too am a very visual person and can identify with you on having to see things to believe them. I guess I never really looked at the ancient Romans as starting the Catholic church or wanting to influence salvation for future generations but after really thinking about I can understand how you can come to that conclusion.

    ReplyDelete